Thursday 15 July 2010

THE ULTIMATE GOOD NIGHT OUT

Well, we’re underway. I have for some months been working on a project I intend to invest a lot of energy and time bringing into being. The ambition is simple: to provide the ultimate good night out.

I don’t want to use the word Theatre. I really don’t want to use the word Theatre. Because you’re gonna ask how it is possible for the phrase ‘ultimate good night out’ be placed in the same sentence as the word ‘theatre’ without the necessary use of a third phrase: ‘The opposite of the…’being placed at the front of that initial phrase? (Keep up)

CINEMA GOOD, THEATRE BAD

And if any of you reading believe otherwise, ponder this truism: how is it when you go to the cinema, no matter how mediocre the movie, you anticipate at least some moments of excitement, thrills, fulfilment? Whereas, I dare anyone to deny they trudge into the first act of any theatrical piece hoping it isn’t going to last too long, be too slow, that the main actress’s obligatory abortion speech doesn’t involve too much crying…
In other words, you expect cinema to be good until it isn’t, and dread theatre to be bad until it isn’t.

Enough of that. Let’s talk about me.

My new script THE DISCO had its second read-through last night. All but one of the cast were present. Not only present but wonderful. I outlined the master-plan (to make this the ultimate good night out, remember) and we proceeded from there.

DISCO DISCO THIS IS A DISCO

What is THE DISCO? Well, it’s based on TV idea by myself and Mr Alex Kirk. We had some good feedback from the BBC but not enough to pursue.

Something about the idea wouldn’t die, so I’ve rewritten the Disco for the stage.

The Disco’s starting point is the wonderful 1970s British movie ‘The Stud’. Yes, the one with Joan Collins. If you’ve not seen it, beware. Is it genius or is it shit? It’s shit. No, it’s genius. No, it’s shit. It’s shit genius.

I’m not going to go into too much detail but think a sleazy Mamma Mia – with spangly boob-tubes, Boney M and Findus Crispy Pancakes. I’ll write another time about what happens and that. This blog is going to be about the process of getting The Disco – comedy, music, costumes – on its feet and becoming, yes, the Ultimate Good Night Out.

More to follow. Deal with it.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like it could be world beating. I've never seen The Stud, though I remember it been considered very risque when I was a young man, the sort of thing 12 year olds got their elder brothers to take them to see.

    ReplyDelete